In this exercise, we will make a directory of files (not necessarily
HTML files) accessible to those who have access to VAweb.
Copy all the files in that directory to you stockInfo directory.
- Change to your public HTML directory:
- Make a directory for your files.
Do not include a space in the directory name
capitalize each word (as I have done below).
- Copy files to your directory.
- Change directories to ~vaweb/Finance/stock using pushd.
Shortly you will learn the advantage of pushd over cd.
cp * ~/public_html/stockInfo
Change directories back to your own public_html directory using popd,
which takes you back to the directory you were in when you called
Change directories to stockInfo
Using your favorite editor or XEmacs create the file README,
which should say something about the files in your stockInfo directory.
Examine your directory in your browser.
- In the location window of your browser, type
to view the contents of the directory "stockInfo" or use the
name of the directory you created.
- From the File menu in Navigator, choose the "Open Page"
from the File menu. The Open Page dialog box appears
- Click the "Choose File" button. The file browser appears.
- Navigate to your public_html directory. The
directory stockInfo will now appear in the Files box.
- Click on stockInfo and
then hit the return key or click the "OK" button at the button
left of the dialog box. Then click "Open in Navigator" in the
Open Page dialog box. You should always check your
work in your browser.